fanfic_name = Time of Our Lives

chapter = Chapter 9

author = lisav

Rating = AP15

Type = Adventure


fanfic = The Awakening

INTRO...

Rico, Bron, and Konda, the three former Zentraedi spies; now deserters rappel to the street on ropes thrown from the cockpit of the pod and looked around. Behind them, their fellow deserters were following their leads.

Everywhere they looked they saw destruction and violence. “What do we do now, Rico?” asked Konda. “The Micronians will surely kill us now for Lord Khyron’s latest attack on the city.”

Rico thought for a moment.

"Bron, Konda, you two help our comrades find clothes, food and a place to hide. I will turn myself in to their leader and if I’m not killed, you guys will also turn yourself in. I will tell their leader that we've come in the name of peace."

------------------------------

"Lisa! Lisa!" Sammy said as soon as she opened the door and the Terrible Trio walked into her quarter.

"Please tell us Rick didn't take you to a sleazy bar on your first date?"

"It's all over the ship, Lisa! Why didn't you tell us you were going on a date with him in the first place?" injected Vanessa.

"It was so embarrassing to hear it from Lucy and Janet who heard it from their flyboy boyfriends! We should have been the ones to tell everyone not the other way around," Kim said, hurt and angry.

"Girls! Please quiet it down..."

"What's up with all the noises, Lisa?" Rick asked as he appeared from Lisa's bedroom in his pant. He was bare footed and without a top. He was rubbing a towel briskly though his damp hair and face.

Pulling the towel off his face, his eyes opened wide with surprised when he realized who were making all the noises. He quickly turned and dashed back into Lisa’s bedroom without saying a word to the trio.

Lisa laughed and her green eyes sparkled with amusement as the trio stared in shocked and their mouths dropped opened. She had never seen the Terrible Trio speechless before and enjoyed every minute of it very much.

"So sorry Lisa," Vanessa finally managed to say and realized that Lisa was in her pajamas. Pulling Sammy and Kim with her, she had them almost to the door before Lisa stopped them.

"Girls, it's not what you're thinking. If you're going to tell everyone, I want it to be the truth, am I making myself clear? If not, I'm never ever going to tell you three anything anymore, got it?" She said in her most authoritative commanding voice.

She saw all three of them nodding their heads, "okay, it was early morning when we got back so I insisted that Rick stayed, nothing happened. Do you hear me? Nothing happened. He slept on my loveseat while I was in my bed, in my room."

"As to the rumors already circulating, Rick did not take me to a sleazy bar; that was my idea for I wanted to go dancing after dinner. But it was not a sleazy bar! We had dinner at a very private, romantic inn, yes, yes," she saw the questions in Kim's eyes without her asking it.

"It was a candlelit dinner with wine and soft music,” Lisa continued.

“After the bar incident we went walking in the moonlight and Rick took me to his favorite spot on the ship where he goes to be alone sometimes. We had a wonderful time and he even brought me a nosegay of violets!"

Vanessa sighed dreamily and Kim gave her a playful jabbed.

"Did he kiss you?" asked Sammy excitedly, “Was it wonderful?”

Lisa had to pause for a few seconds before answering. "Yes and my lips are sealed!"

Then she waved them out the door. They groaned and pleaded with her for some more information but she only smiled and shook her head. Finally the door shut closed behind them and she exhaled a sigh of relief.

"Are they gone?"

She nodded as she walked up to him.

Rick was fully dressed now in last night's clothes and she brought herself closer, molding her hips to him until she was pressed against him with exciting intimacy.

Her fingers entwined themselves in his dark brown hair as her arms fastened around his neck to draw him even nearer to her and her mouth closed over his; her tongue moving with slow devastation to tease him until he felt the room spinning.

He knew she was paying him back for last night when he had kissed her senseless before sending her off to bed. He found himself liking her aggressiveness very much. Everything about her excites him!

He was straining against her, moving against her, reason forgotten. His sigh was a moan as her mouth descended to his throat. Her lips tasted, lingered, traveled to new territories, the tip of her tongue moist and warm against his ear until his mouth was desperate for hers again.

She pulled away with the same arrogance as she had pulled him to her. Dazed, he could do no more than stared down at her as his body throbbed with a myriad of newly discovered desires.

"Thank you for a wonderful date, Rick" she said and she walked into her bedroom, the door closing tightly after her.

Wow!

Rick smiled as he made his way back to his quarters and quickly changed into his flight uniform for his routine patrol with Vermillion was in twenty minutes.

------------------

At the Star Bowl, Minmei was busy giving a concert to thank all her fans for coming to her debut film. Once again the people of Macross flocked to it to hear her, to be transported to another reality even if it was just for an hour or two.

And those who couldn't make in person watched it and listened to it on their radios and televisions. Therefore it was not surprising that her concert would also find its way onto the bridge.

In his ready room, Captain Gloval grew introspective listening to Minmei's songs. His mind drifted back to his late wife, Anna of twenty-eight years; then to their daughter Natasha and their grandson, Demetrius.

Sitting at their stations, The Terrible Trio slipped into a sort of collective daydream fantasy about the three funny but cute guys they've met a month ago at the disco club.

The six of them together had gotten along so well and had such fun that they've gone out with each other again a couple of times afterwards. But now Rico, Bron, and Konda were no where to be found and the trio were worried.

Where are you guys? Sammy wondered. Why did you guys leave? Kim asked. We missed you, Vanessa finished.

While Claudia, remembered walking arm in arm with Roy Fokker in the snow through Hyde Park, London.

Roy, wake up soon. I need you now more than ever!

"Good afternoon everyone," Lisa said cheerfully as she walked onto the bridge but no one turned to greet her back. She frowned and was about to say something when she realized they were all too deep into Minmei's latest song to noticed her.

Oh brother, even in my own tuff I can't escape you, Minmei.

Walking to her station, she saw that Claudia was in the same state as the Terrible Trio-- in la la land, daydreaming!

Don't give up hope, Claudia. Roy will come back to you, I just know it. He has to!

She turned then to study the read out on her screen. She hoped it would be a quiet shift today and her thoughts turned to Rick once again. She was just about to relax by sitting down when she saw it and knew this one would be a big one.

"Battle stations!" Lisa's command voice could be heard through out the bridge and it broke through all her shipmates' daydreams.

"Thirty ships," she said as she pressed the general alarm which sent everyone throughout the ship scrambling for either cover or back to the base.Captain Gloval came running out of his ready room and tried to make sense of the overhead monitor readout. "Thirty?" Gloval said, puzzled.

"Why only thirty ships when they have so many at their command? What can they be planning this time? Scramble the Veritechs, Lisa."

Gloval took to the command chair and exhaled wearily.

In the Prometheus hangar, pilots ran to their planes while flight controllers directed prepped Veritechs toward runways and launch bays.

Rick threw himself back into Skull One and saw Max getting into his Vermillion Two. They saw each other and he gave Max a thumb up.

Dammed, I just came back too! Well here we go again.

Rick fastened his straps and adjusted his seat. He ran through a self-check then ordered his team forward to the elevator when Lisa appeared on the central com screen.

"Thirty alien crafts approaching from sector twenty-seven and twenty-eight, Skull Leader, do you copy?"

"Affirmative," he said while hitting his thruster and speeding off the deck.

"Bandits will be in your lap in five minutes, Lieutenant."

"Roger that, Commander" Rick answered her. "Lock and load boys! Let's show them whose boss!"

Lisa's screen began to light up; the enemy pods have opened fire. Skull and the other teams were engaging them. Radar blips began to disappear from the board. She knew each of those blips was a pilot-- someone's loved one.

Switching to his personal com channel Lisa said softly, "Never say die, Rick."

"Never, I promise Lisa," he replied before closing the channel.

----------------------

From far away he hears a familiar voice repeating itself over and over again:

---- Stay in your shelter! The enemy has penetrated the city. I repeat the enemy is in the city! Do not leave your shelter.-----

Where? I don't see any? What's going on here? Why can't I move? Tired, I'm so tired... Claudia...

And suddenly he saw her. She was in a yellow summer dress, his favorite color on her and she was smiling at him; waving to him. He couldn't hear her but he could make out her words: Roy! Roy!

He jumped off Skull One and ran to her. He picked her up, spinning her around and round while she laughed with happiness. He loved her laughter, it was rich and hearty for it came from her soul.

Finally he sets her down and hugged her tightly to him. He felt as if he hadn't seen her in years and he tells her that he loves her, have always loved her.

He felt her putting her palms on either side of his face and stroked the hard line of his jaw. He felt so strong and vibrant beneath her hands. With her at his side he knew anything was possible.

Slowly she touched his ears, his nose, his lips, trailing her fingers over his features as if she were blind and were memorizing him.

He took one of her hands in his and brought it to his lips, then turned it and put a kiss in her palm. He folded her fingers over it as if the kiss was a thing she could keep for later. Their eyes met and no words were necessary. She drew his face down to hers and she kissed him lightly on the mouth.

But instead of love, passion and joy; he tasted sadness, loneliness and heart break in her kiss. They overwhelmed him and he felt as if his heart would burst from feeling her pain; anguish, worried and heart ache seemed to race through his veins.

"Claud, what's wrong?" he asked almost panicking as he brushed the tears now falling freely from her face away. "I'm here," His voice was low. "I'll always be here."

"I've missed you like life itself, Roy. Come back to me, my love. Come back to me, Roy."

"I don't understand Claudia?" he said in all honesty.

Then she turned and walked away from him. He called out to her but she kept on walking while her words kept repeating itself in his head.

'come back to me, Roy, come back to me...’

Opening his eyes, Roy realized that he was lying down, on a bed and a very hard one at that. Everywhere he looked he saw white walls and next to him on the night stand was a vase full of long, stemmed yellow roses.

Slowly moving his hands, then his arms, he managed to sit up.

I'm in a hospital! I'll be dammed... I wonder if I was hurt bad. How did I get hurt?

He tried but he couldn't remember for the life of him. Now that he's fully awake, he could hear music, it was not loud but not so quiet either.

Hey! I know this song! It's one of my favorites. I used to listen to it everyday at flight school.

She says: We've got to hold on to what we've got

'Cause it doesn't make a difference

If we make it or not

We've got each other and that's a lot

For love - we'll give it a shot

We're half way there

Livin' on a prayer

Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear

Livin' on a prayer

Getting out of bed slowly, he moved toward the door. Opening it, he noticed that there was no one out in the hallway.

Where's everybody?

Slowly and one step at a time, he made his way down the hall. Hoping he'll run into somebody, anybody who could tell him what's going on.

"Excuse me sir, but..."

Roy heard a scream and turned to see what had attacked her when he realized that she was staring at him. He wanted to ask her what was wrong with him that had scared her when he felt himself falling and hitting the floor then blackness.

----------------

She was grasping the mike tightly in both hands, though she knew the power had gone off. She also knew they should have evacuated when the siren first went off but Kyle had convinced her to stay, to keep singing and to pretend that everything was fine.

Everything was not fine! How could it when she could see the city beyond the amphitheater and it was engulfed in flames. She could see the ugly black smoke drifting into the fake blue sky too.

Then, all at once, four Battlepods appeared on the upper tier of the amphitheater, their cannons aimed at her and she screamed, dropping the mike.

Rick...

But it was Kyle who came to her. "You can't stop! As long as you keep singing, they won't shoot! They can't! Sing Minmei, sing."

He put his arm around her and she began singing again and the pods just stood there, not moving or firing. They seemed to be spellbound by her voice and she began to calm down a bit but a stray shot from who knows where hit the amphitheater and everything shook.

The pods panic and began shooting randomly but before real harm could come to her, Kyle or the people still there in the audience with her, the pods were decimated by two VT planes flying by.

The crowd began running then and she could hear screams as well as crying everywhere.

When is this ever going to end? Why can't they just leave us alone?

Looking up, Kyle saw a large overhead spotlight coming down on them. Acting on instinct, he threw himself on Minmei and a second later, he felt the weight of the spotlight knocking him out-- cold.

Minmei felt a heavy weight on top of her, opening her eyes she wondered where she was and what happened. Then she realized the heavy weight was Kyle and summoning all her strength she managed to drag herself out from under him.

Looking around her, she saw that the amphitheater was deserted now. But the sound of sirens and explosions could be heard and in the distance gun fights.

She turned back to Kyle and tried to wake him up but he was not moving or making any sound at all. She managed to put his head in her lap and take a handkerchief from his pocket and dabbed at the blood that was oozing from the cut on his forehead.

She felt bruised and mangled, there was a big scratch on her left leg, her once beautiful Qi Pao was torn, dirty and probably ruined; her shiny blue-black hair had come undone from its perfect bun-like arrangement but she didn't care for once in her life.

All she could think about was that Kyle had saved her life not once, but twice since he'd come on board and hadn't asked for anything in return.

She knew he loved her, still loved her for he had told her so shortly after he had come on board the SDF-1. But she had been unsure of her feelings for him. Four years was a long time and a lot has changed since then therefore she had ignored his questions as easily as she had done to Rick.

Rick…

Sometimes she felt as if she was in love with him and would be happy being just his girlfriend for he was a wonderful person-- sensitive, handsome and kind. Yet there were times too when she knew all she felt for him was just friendship.

Why do they all have to fall in love with me? Why can't we just all be friends?

"Kyle, don't die, please don't die!" She cried and slowly rocked him back in forth in her arms.

What if Kyle does die? I will never see him again. No!

In shock and frustration, she screamed out. "I love you Kyle! Do you hear me, don't die! I love you!" Then she bends down to kiss him lightly on the lips, praying for a miracle.

"Minmei! Are you okay?" Rick asked as he stared at the scene in front of him without really seeing it at all. He was still caught, still held by the hands of time.

She loves him! I just heard her say it with my own ears. She loves Kyle and all this time...

"Rick? Rick! Is that you?" she looked up and saw Rick's Guardian with its skull and crossbones prominently displayed standing at the very top tier of the amphitheater.

"Help him, Rick. Help Kyle, he won't wake up."

"Help is on the way, Minmei. I just called it in. They'll be here any minute. Are you okay?" He asked again but this time without any emotions.

"Yes! I'm fine, Rick! Now that you're here, I knew you would come," she said and her midnight blue eyes shone with tears of happiness as she stared up at him.

Oh Minmei, only if you knew how much I've loved you. I know now that I was always just a big brother to you. What a fool I was to think that there was more but it was Kyle all along.

"I see the emergency people coming now. They'll know how to help Kyle. I have to go, Minmei," he said.

Good-bye, Minmei.

"Okay, Rick, be careful!" she answered back and watched as he changed mode and flew off.

Oh, Rick…

...Four Hours Later...

"Rick?" Lisa's voice came through the tac net to him and he realized he hadn't checked in with her since he left Minmei and Kyle at the amphitheater.

"How's it going, Lisa? I'm just about finished here and then will be coming back to base," he replied.

"Rick, I think you should come back now. Leave Max in charge, its Roy..."

"I'm coming."

As he stood outside Roy's room at the hospital, he prepared himself for the worse. He had been so scared that he didn't want to know or listen to what Lisa was going to tell him over the tac net about Roy. He had simply shut off his communicator and rushed back here for whatever the news will be he wanted to be in person to find out himself.

Opening the door, he held his breath and went in. He saw Claudia standing at Roy's bedside with her head down, her hand holding onto Roy's hand and he knew; he just knew Roy had died.

"No!" he screamed in agony and pain.

Claudia turned and he froze.

"Rick! Hi-ya little brother. Why the scream? I don't look that bad do I?" a thin looking blond man said from the bed.

"Roy? Roy!" Rick couldn't believe his eyes.

Roy's awake! My big brother's awake!

He ran over to Roy's bedside and hugged him. "It is really you? Roy! I thought you died! I thought you would never wake up again!" He said quickly and without taking a breath at all while tears were flowing freely down his face.

"Rick! Slow down, I'm not going anywhere, buddy." Then he smiled and pulled Rick back for another hug. "It's nice to see you too."

"Roy..." He was interrupted by an urgent message on the PA:

---- Lieutenant Hunter, your presence is requested in HQ Special Sessions chamber immediately!----

"Dammit!" Rick yelled and realized Claudia was present and he quickly apologized. Claudia only smiled at him and told him to get going. He could see the happiness and twinkle in her eyes again and he nodded knowing Roy was in good hand.

What now?

Standing outside the Special Sessions chamber, he returned a sentry's salute, tugged at the hem of his jacket then rapped decisively on the door. When it opened, he walked in, ready to do battle.

He was familiar with the large room for he had been here two times before, once was when he had been awarded the Medal of Valor and the other was when he, Lisa, Max and Ben had been debriefed after their short stay on board the Zentraedi flagship.

"Lieutenant Hunter reporting as ordered." Rick saluted.

"At ease, Lieutenant."

But he knew better and he quickly scanned the room. Gloval was seated in the middle of the large desk; to his right were Lisa, Max and...

Miriya!

Rick nearly fainted.

Oh dammed, I knew it! I'm busted for sure now!

On the captain's left were colonels Maistroff and Caruthers-- both veteran commanders, both, stern and stiff. They looked at him disapprovingly.

Can things get any worse!

Then he noticed the three men sitting in the seats directly across from them. As Rick moved closer he saw that they were similarly dressed in coarsely woven dark-colored robes. He felt as if he'd seen these three men before and then he knew where when they turned to look at him.

They're Zentraedi! What are they doing here? Does the captain know?

"Take a seat, Lieutenant. Everything will be explained," Gloval said.

----------------------

It's been two days since Bron, Konda, Rico and their deserter friends have become permanent citizens of Macross. Rick could still remember the Terrible Trio's shout of surprised, happiness and joy at having their missing "boyfriends" back.

Who would have believed that kindness and a show of affection from three of the silliest girls he had ever met to three war-harden aliens was the key to attaining peace.

------ Flash Back ----------

"We found ourselves missing them after a couple of days away from the fortress. We remembered how nice they were to us and how much fun we had dancing with them. We especially liked it when they hugged us and pressed their lips to our cheeks and we wanted to feel that again," Rico said excitedly as his two friends nodded in approval.

"Who are them?" Colonel Maistroff demanded.

"Sammy, Vanessa and Kim. Who do you think we mean?" Bron answered.

"Yea," Konda added and the look on his face was one of disbelief that the colonel did not know who they were.

For as far as the three former spies were concerned, Sammy, Vanessa and Kim were the "it" people and if you didn't know who they were, you weren't important or high enough in the chain of command.

"They are the finest Micronian females we have ever encountered. They know everyone and everything. They took us to so many wonderful places to eat, dance and watch male and female Micronians pressed lips together. We wanted to see them again and listen to Minmei sing so we decided to come back."

------End Flash Back ----------

The look on Maistroff and Caruthers's faces when Bron had mentioned the trio's names as one of the reasons why they want to live on the SDF-1 was priceless.

Thinking about it now still tickles Rick silly.

Even Max had been giving permission by Captain Gloval to marry Miriya to the surprised of everyone on board especially now that its public knowledge who she was-- the Red Baron!

Their wedding was scheduled for Friday, which was only five days away and no expenses were to be spared for their wedding was going to be the event of the year.

It was going to be even bigger than the Miss Macross pageant for Captain Gloval had gone live on television to invite everyone on board to participate in the celebration.

Lisa and he were elected by Captain Gloval to be the best man and maid of honor for the happy couple. Already there were talks of turning Max and Miriya's story into a movie for their meeting, courtship and eventual marriage was the stuff of legends.

Rick had never seen Max happier or Miriya, who now days blushed easily like a true bride-to-be every time her eyes meet Max's. He knew Lisa had gone shopping with Miriya earlier today before her shift for a wedding dress.

He hoped Lisa had bought something nice for herself too for he was looking forward to seeing her in something else besides her usual white-starched, wrinkle free uniform. They have been so busy these last couple of days that this was their first free moment together since their date.

Then he spotted the three former Zentraedi spies and the Terrible Trio walking into the lounge. They looked happy and excited about something. Their laughter could be heard as they all squeezed into a booth two tables down from where he and Lisa were.

"It's hard to believe that they want to live on this piece of metal with us?" Rick said dejectedly.

Sipping her coffee, Lisa looked to where Rick had looked and smiled for she was happy for the trio. She knew that with the three former spies around the trio would be too busy with their own personal love life to bother with hers.

"What's really bothering you, Rick?" Lisa asked knowing something else was bothering him and she bet her next promotion that it has to do with Minmei.

She knew about Kyle's injuries for it was all anyone could talk about since the attack and how Miss Macross had stood by his side through out the surgery. Not to mention the press conference they had called the day after when she had held Kyle's hand the whole time.

Yes she knew what was bothering Rick but she played dumb and took a different route, hoping she was wrong.

"And don't tell me it's the Zentraedi defectors because you know as well as I do that this is our one chance for peace. We've seen their ships, Rick. We know what they're capable of, if exposing them to our culture can bring even a hundred or five hundred of them to our side, we might have a chance."

"I know, Lisa. You're right, it's not them… it's something else," he answered, debating whether he should tell her or not for he did not want to rush her. He knew what they were feeling for each other was still too new-- at least for him anyway.

"I don't want to hurt you, Lisa but if I don't talk about it. It's going to eat me up!" Rick said guiltily.

He felt her breath catch. She held it then expelled it slowly. He held her gaze with every ounce of concentration he could muster. He could see the conflicting emotions in her green eyes and he hated himself for being a jerk.

"I have ears too, Rick. I know what's bothering you," she said after a long silence. "I'll listen. I may not like what I hear, but I'll listen."

"I've lost her, Lisa. The funny thing is, I don't think I ever had her," and he broke his eye contact with her. "I saw her and Kyle at the amphitheatre the day of the attack. Kyle was badly hurt and I heard her telling him that she loved him."

"Rick, I'm..."

"I love her, Lisa. I'm not going to lie to you,” he said.

He saw the color draining from her face. But he continued. “She was all I thought about and she was the reason why I joined up. I wanted to protect her while at the same time become someone she would be proud off.

“Rick, please don’t tell me anymore...” Lisa’s voice broke as she looked away from him, unable to bear the pain spreading through her body.

“Listen to me, Lisa,” he stopped her interruption. “It was Kyle, always Kyle who she loved. I should have known I was just a big brother to her. How many times is she going to say it to the world before I get it?"

His eyes caught hers again and this time she saw something close to pain in his. "Can you forgive me, Lisa for taking so long to see you?"

She exhaled slowly and she could hear her heart beating faintly again.

A warning siren went off.

"Another attack!" said Lisa, jumping up from her chair. Rick was also out of his chair too and they could see everybody scrambling to their stations.

"You got to love them Zentraedi! They sure know how to time their attacks!" Rick said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. They made their way to the door when she grabbed his hand.

"Be careful, Rick."

He smiled at her and gave her hand a light squeezed, letting her know that he understood.

Note:

Song by Bon Jovi "Living on a Prayer"

State = Continuará/To Be Continue

feedback = Sí/Yes