Fanfic Name / Nombre del Fanfic: maelstrom

Chapter / Capitulo: 9

Author / Autor: jo anderson

Rating / Clasificacion: AP15 (For Teenagers = Para Adolescentes)

Romance

Alternate Universe / Universo Alterno

Angst / Drama

Fanfic: Maelström Chapter 9 
Disclaimer: I don’t own Robotech or any of it’s characters. This fic was written for entertainment purposes only. No infringement is intended. 
Author’s note: This is a Roy and Lisa fanfic, you are warned. If you don’t want to read this please don’t. I wrote this because I have always think that Roy is an awesome character and that he and Lisa will make a wonderful couple if it weren't for Claudia. In order for this fic to work Roy never died in the episode “Farwell Big Brother” 
Reviews: I love reviews, they are what keeps me writing and is the only way I have to know if you like it or not this fic. So please try to send one even if it just one word. 
To: Carla, thanks for helping me to develop this idea and for giving me the courage to write this.To Dwayne for being my beta again, without you I don't know what I'll do and to Feña. 
Enjoy..... 
 
Maelström 
Chapter 9 
“Crash and burn” 
 
Lisa arrived on the bridge and checked the rotation schedule for the pilots. Once again Rick was scheduled to fly the night shift, way after her shift was over. She couldn't help but think that he was avoiding her; it had been over a week since they had shared that night together and since then she hadn't seen or hear from him. Maybe it was just a coincidence and he honestly had been busy, maybe her own fears were making her think that he was avoiding her. Or maybe she was just searching for excuses to justify his behavior, after all she had done that in the past. 
 
Lisa sighed sadly and turned her focus to the radar screen in front of her. Could she have been fooling herself again? Had she been the only one making love that night? She continued to question herself before turning her full attention to the mission she had to monitor that was taking place miles away in what it used to be Mexico City.  
 
The mission had turned out to be a success; they had moved an entire battalion of Monster Destroids to a new military base with no troubles. Perfect planning, perfect synchronization and perfect development, but not even a mission with 100% success was able to make her worries fade away and questions about Rick's behavior started to fill her head again. She made a grimace while she signed the last reports of the mission. She looked at the clock and saw that there were still five hours left until the start of Rick's shift. She thought about what excuse she could use to “accidentally” bump into him, but non of the excuses she thought of sounded convincing enough. She sighed again and convinced herself that the best thing to do was to go home and check her answering machine - maybe this time there would be a message from him. 
 
When she arrived home, she actually felt like a Popsicle as winter had definitely arrived in Macross City. And even when the rational side of her brain told her to immediately run and turn on the heat, the first thing she did was to run towards the answering machine and check her messages. 
 
“You have no new messages,” was the answer the machine gave to her.  
 
She let herself fall onto the couch, still wearing her coat and her purse still slung over her right shoulder. She felt her heart sink again, like she hadn't in a while. What happened to all the promises she made to herself back on the Satellite? she asked to herself. “What happened with being happy? And doing it for Claudia,” she said out loud and her heart shrunk with guilty and sadness. 
 
Everything was so clear when she was on the Satellite and now everything was a blur. She had known exactly what to do when she was there, she even had a plan. But he came to her and all her plans had been flushed down the toilet. She had fallen under his spell again, willingly, hoping once again that things would be different this time, but they hadn't been. Why did he have to be so sweet a minute and then just disappear? she pondered and couldn't help thinking that this time he had been the one who come to visit her; he was the one who started things. Then why was him the one who was running away? 
 
“What did I do wrong this time?” she asked to herself almost in a whisper while tears started to form in her eyes. She didn't want to cry so she quickly wiped the tears away and forced herself to stand up from the couch. Still holding the tears she went to her kitchen and opened her practically empty refrigerator, but it still had all she needed tonight. After that she went to her bedroom put on her pajamas and jumped into bed. 
 
While she ate a huge piece of chocolate cake covered in an obscene amount of whipped cream, she thought about how much she hated the fact that she felt helpless about Rick. She didn't want to keep leaving messages on his answering machine nor did she want to start chasing him around the base. She still had some pride left, or at least that was what she wanted to think, even when she wasn't so sure anymore, she thought taking another bite of her cake.  
 
She needed something to distract her. She didn't want to fall asleep again watching her cell phone waiting for him to call or thinking about what she should do next. She had done that for a week already, so she turned on the TV. Nothing forced her mind to stop over thinking more than an old action movie. She took another bite of her cake, which was now more whipped cream than anything and focused on the movie. 
 
 
Roy was walking at a slow pace through the hallways containing the offices of the higher ranked officers, two huge cups in each hand and a bag. He smiled at himself thinking about the contents of the bag. He knew she would protest about it and that amused him. He enjoyed this time of the day. It was nice to have lunch with Lisa in the calm of her office instead of the noisy mess hall, but more than that he felt at ease there. They had started doing this while they were going through the huge amounts of files from Doctor Lang and now it was just a thing they did when they weren't too busy. He was just hoping that today she was in better mood than the other days of the week- he didn't like it to see her like that. 
 
“Come in,” Lisa said when she heard the knock on the door. 
 
“Hi there,” Roy said as he entered into the office. 
 
“Thank god you are here, I'm starving,” Lisa said and quickly stood up from her desk and stole one of the cups from Roy's hands. 
 
“It's nice to see you too Lisa,” Roy said sarcastically. 
 
“I’m sorry but I’m really hungry” she said shrugging her shoulders and looking at him apologetically. 
 
“It's okay. So where do I leave this?” Roy asked, still with the bag in his hands. 
 
“Here,” Lisa said and cleared her desk. Once he left the things there she asked. “So what are we having today?” 
 
“Chicken soup since you always complain about how cold the days are, and some steamed cooked vegetables with tofu,” Roy said opening his eyes as if he was dying to taste the food. Lisa just raised an eyebrow and screwed her nose a little. “What?” 
 
“Nothing,” Lisa said resignedly. 
 
“It is my day,” Roy said opening his cup of chicken soup. “On my days we eat healthy, on yours we eat junk.” 
 
“I know,” Lisa said with no enthusiasm while she opened her own cup of soup. “It's just that today I could have used something more... greasy,” she said shrugging her shoulders. 
 
“You okay?” Roy asked, raising an eyebrow while he took a sip of his soup. 
 
“I'm fine,” she said with a rehearsed smile that she knew he didn't buy. “Nothing that an assault to the vending machine in my way to the bridge can't cure.” 
 
“Are you sure?” he said before sitting in a chair that was in front of her desk. “You've been distant the last couple of days. If there's something you want to talk about it, you know you can trust me,” he said softly without looking at her because he knew she would feel uneasy if he did. 
 
“I know I can trust you, but don't worry I'm fine,” she said and smiled warmly at him. He looked at her not very convinced and before he said something else she asked, “So, how was the last patrol?” 
 
“Boring. I think I'm getting used to the test flights,” Roy said and they both keep talking and having lunch. Once they finished they started working on the test flights. 
 
“Tomorrow is the last flight, right?” Lisa asked, now seated in the small comfortable couch that was in her office. Her shoes were off and a report was laying over her lap, while Roy was now seated on her chair with his feet over her desk, leaning back and also reading a report. 
 
“Yes, tomorrow at 08.00, standard battle demonstration.”  
 
“Targeting still and mobile objectives on surface and underground,” she said. 
 
“And don't forget Breetai's battlepods,” Roy interrupted her. 
 
“Right,” she nodded and rested her head against the back of the couch. “A logistic nightmare.” 
 
“I would say I pity you because you will have Maistroff looking over your shoulder while this is taking place, but I'm just too happy for not having to deal with him. So nope, I don't pity you.” 
 
“Considering how your last match against Maistroff went, even I am happy.” 
 
“The Zentraedi do know that it's just practice right?” Roy asked, ignoring Lisa's comment and making her smile. Then he added seriously. “Remember the last time we did war games, they forgot to put markers on their guns and used actual laser guns. It wasn't pretty.” 
 
“They know, but I'll make sure of it. I'll talk to Exedore and to the pilots. Let's hope my Zentraedi is not as rusty as my Spanish,” she said and Roy laughed. 
 
“I heard you yesterday on the main channel, very sexy,” he teased. 
 
“Ha-ha,” she said ironically. “So, getting back to the test flight, once you are done with that, you will have to refuel in air, make a standard landing and take off maneuver on one of the armor platforms and get back.” 
 
“Piece of cake,” Roy said closing the file and standing up. 
 
“Yeah but don't be too happy. You'll have to write a thorough report that same night, because it has to be on the “committee’s” desk first thing in the morning.” 
 
“You're kidding, right?” he asked, hands in his pockets as he stood in front of her. 
 
“Nope, Maistroff's direct orders,” she said with a pissed off grimace that Roy mimicked. 
 
“Bastard! Isn't it enough that we have to have a meeting with him the day after.” 
 
“The day after?” Lisa asked surprised. 
 
“Yeah, didn't you read the bottom of the report? Committee meeting to approve or reject project, Thursday at 09.00.” 
 
“You've got be...” Lisa said and searched for the last line of her report and then covered her head with it when Roy's words were confirmed. “Perfect, that will be the icing in the cake for an awesome week,” Lisa said sarcastically as she came out from under the report.  
 
“It has been that bad?” he asked with concern. 
 
“No, not really. Don't listen to me, I'm... never mind,” she said making a gesture with her hand. Roy looked at her and knelt in front of her so he could into her eyes. 
 
“I’m here you know? If you need me, if you ever want to talk. I’m here,” he said honestly. 
 
“Thanks Roy,” she said, touched by his words and she laid a hand over his for a brief moment. 
 
Lisa Hayes, the always so private Lisa Hayes, he thought. People always said that you never knew what was really going on with her and yet she didn't seem that hard to read for him. In fact he had a very good idea of why she was so down. He could even sum it up to two words: Rick Hunter. 
 
“Why don't we go out tonight?” he asked, and she looked at him with surprise. “Come on cheer up, drinks at the “Hangar”, you and me. I’ll pay” 
 
“I ... don't know,” Lisa said frowning her nose. “Just the two of us?” 
 
“If you don't want to think of it as a date,” he teased. “A group of pilots are going, why don't you come?” Roy said enthusiastically. “We are going to celebrate Maggie's birthday.” 
 
“Lt. Thompson's birthday?” Lisa asked. 
 
“Yup, it's her first birthday in the squadron so we are taking her out,” Roy said and Lisa played her record in her head. 
 
Lt Thompson was the youngest and only female member of the Skull. A petite dark haired woman who knew more about engines than makeup the other team members used to tease her. When she arrived in Roy's elite squadron everyone thought she wouldn't last a day, but she proved them wrong by showing everyone that she was a hard working and very competent officer. Yes, Lt. Thompson had all the things she appreciated in an officer, except one tiny little detail: everyone knew she had a crush on Rick. A case in point- she had requested to be part of Rick's squadron but since the Vermilion already had Miriya she ended up in the Skull. 
 
“I don't think so, it would be a squadron thing. I don't want to intrude,” Lisa finally said. 
 
“You won't, you'll be with me.”  
 
“Thank for the offer but don't forget I'm the evil witch from the control tower. They would never be at ease with me there,” Lisa said with an easy voice; she knew perfectly well what people thought of her and with time she had learned to not let it affect her.  
 
Roy just frowned at her words and stood up. “You are not the witch from the tower control,” Roy said seriously. “That's Sammie, you're the sourpuss ice queen remember?” he teased and she threw him the report she had on her hands. 
 
“Not funny Fokker,” she said scolding him, and he just gave her a mischievous smile. 
“Anyway, I have to go,” he said and walked closer to her. “But if you change your mind about the “Hangar” call me,” he said, kneeling down next to her once again. 
 
“I don't think...” 
 
“I know you probably won't go, but I have to try, and remember I'm a very persistent guy,” Roy said and winked at her. “It would be nice to have you there,” Roy finally said and stood up and walked towards the exit. 
 
“Roy,” Lisa said when he had already opened the door. “Don't party too hard okay? Remember the test flight.” 
 
“Yes Mom,” Roy said with a smile. “Oh one more thing,” he said and reached for something in his pocket. “Here.”  
 
Lisa reacted just in time to catch what he had thrown at her. “What's this?” Lisa asked and looked at what she had in her hands. 
 
“So you won't have to assault the vending machine,” he said with a smile and left 
 
Lisa opened the wrapper of the chocolate she had in her hands. It was her favorite and she couldn't help smiling while she took the chocolate into her mouth. 
 
Rick was arriving at the base early, but he couldn't stand spending more time at home. He felt spent but it wasn't because of the long hours patrolling the skies late at night, but because he had once again stayed awake that morning analyzing his relationship with Lisa. He usually didn't do that, but things between them were different after Claudia's death. He realized then that he could lose her any day, just like that, and that thought had scared him. It had made him realized how much she meant to him. 
 
Lisa had become this huge and fundamental part of his life. At first he had told himself that it was because they were friends and she was among the few people he could trust. But as time went by, their chaste friendship turned into something else: they had crossed the line and slept together. He told himself then that it had been a spur of the moment thing. They both were a little drunk and they both felt terrible lonely at the time. He had also promised himself the next morning that it would never happen again. He had broken that promise too many times now.  
 
What was it that drew him to her so strongly? he asked himself. The truth was that they had a bond, they had something going on between them, but what? That was the million dollar question. And every time he started to think about it he felt a knot in the pit of his stomach, the kind of knot that you feel when you are in front of something that could go incredibly well or terribly wrong. And he didn't know what option scared him the most, the idea of losing Lisa as a friend or the idea of starting a relationship with Captain Hayes.  
 
He parked his car and though some irony of destiny there she was, walking towards her own car that was a few meters away from him. He immediately turned of the lights of the car and prayed that she hadn't seen him. He knew he would have to talk to her at some point, but not now. He wasn't ready for that yet. He had thought that like the others time they were going to let the water run under the bridge until things were back to normal. But she had called him, and she never did that. And now he was scared and was taking all the night shifts so he could have an excuse to not call her back. He felt awful doing that, but he couldn't think of anything better to do than that. He wasn't ready. 
 
And as suddenly as she had appeared she disappeared. She climbed into her car and drove away with out noticing him. He couldn't help sighing in relief and feeling bad about it. If only he knew what to do, things would be so much different. He thought while climbing down his car. 
 
By the time Lisa arrived home, all she wanted to do was to cuddle in her bed. Tomorrow was going to be a long day. But she had promised herself that today she would clean up her house that had a thick layer of dust and dirty dishes all over the kitchen.  
 
She put on her warmest pajamas and turned on the music loud while she washed the dishes. Maybe cleaning would cheer her up, she thought and started singing the song that had been play. 
She was singing out loud when the door bell rang. For a moment she wasn't sure if it was the music or if it actually was the doorbell but when it rang again and more persistently she knew it wasn't the music. She took off the gloves, grabbed a wool sweater and put it on before opening the door. 
 
“Roy I told you I wasn't in the mood to go to...” she was saying but became mute when she realized it wasn't Roy who was standing at the door. 
 
“Hi Lisa!” a chorus of three voices said. 
 
“Girls,” Lisa said confused, this was the last thing she was expecting. 
 
“Can we come in?” Vanessa asked. 
 
“Sure,” Lisa said still feeling out of place letting the girls enter her home. 
 
“We know this is kinda sudden and maybe out of place,” Kim started. 
 
“But we saw you so down today on the bridge that we thought...” Sammie said but didn't finish. 
 
“That you might want to go out with us?” Kim finished. 
 
“I'm really not in the mood girls,” Lisa said. 
 
“And that's the perfect reason to go out. Come on Lisa!” Sammie begged. 
 
“Yes Lisa, it would be good for you!!” 
 
“It will only be a drink, we promise we'll take you home before midnight,” Vanessa said cheerfully. 
 
“I really...” Lisa started but the girls interrupted her. 
 
“Please!” the three of them said in unison. And that was the last thing Lisa could clearly remember, because before she even gave them an answer the girls grabbed her and pulled her into her bedroom and started to tear apart Lisa's closet searching for something worthy to wear to the “Hangar”. A few minutes later she found herself all dressed up, they even had done her hair and make up and dragged her into her car and were on their way to the “Hangar”. 
 
Roy was laughing his lungs out at a table at the center of the hangar, sharring a gigantic pitcher of beer with his fellow team members. It had been a while since he had gone out with the guys, partially because he had been very busy, partially because he didn't feel in the mood to party and also because he was afraid that if he did go out he might fall back into old bad habits. He hadn't, not since he returned from the Satellite and mostly because of Lisa. But still he missed going out with his men. 
 
He laughed while he watched Maggie pulling up the sleeve of her shirt to arm wrestle against Roger, another junior member of his squadron. 
 
“Go Maggie!!” Roy was cheering when something caught his attention, making him smile brightly. 
 
The trio and Lisa entered the “Hangar” and screened the place in search of a table. Lisa stood out from the rest immediately, even though Kim was taller than her and Sammie's outfit took away the breath of several male officers that were near them. He didn't remember the last time he had seen her in something other than her uniform, but here she was all in black, except for a deep green scarf that matched her eyes, her hair pulled up in a pony tail and long green earrings. The entire outfit was very simple and yet it gave her this distinguished beauty that few women had, and that she mastermind perfectly. Roy smiled again; yes it was nice to see her out of her uniform, she looked softer, approachable and it was also good to see her having fun. 
 
He followed the girls with his eyes until they sat at a table on the other side of the place and a waiter immediately took they order. Then he turned his attention to the arm wrestling that was taking place at his own table and waited until it was over and grabbed his glass of beer and started to walk in their direction. 
 
“Hello, Ladies!” Roy said with his deep seductive voice when he was next to them. 
 
“Hi Captain,” the girls said and Lisa just nodded at him with a smile. 
 
“So, you decided to come,” Roy said as he sat in the chair next to Lisa. 
 
“I had no other choice,” Lisa said looking at the girls. 
 
“I bet you didn't,” he said with a smile. 
 
“What are you doing here, sir?” asked Kim. 
 
“Celebrating Maggie's birthday,” he answered pointing at his table. “And you ladies?” 
 
“Celebrating another pay check,” Sammie joked. 
 
“That sounds like a great reason to celebrate, cheers to that!” Roy said raising his glass and the girls did the same, even Lisa. 
 
“How are the celebrations going?” Lisa asked to Roy. 
 
“Good,” Roy said and gave a look to his table. “You know, if I'm around nothing can go wrong.” 
 
“Right,” Lisa said, amused. 
 
“Are you questioning me?” Roy said getting closer to Lisa, looking at her inquisitively. 
 
“What if I am?” Lisa said holding Roy's gaze without moving away. Her mouth slightly curved into a smile. 
 
“Hayes, you really aren't...”  
 
“Boss,” interrupted a young officer standing next to Roy. 
 
“Yes Parker?” Roy asked turning away from Lisa. 
 
“It is time,” he said vaguely pointing at the squadron's table. 
 
“Oh yeah,” Roy said finally as if he had remembered what the guy meant. “Well, ladies if you’ll excuse me,” Roy said and stood up. “Hayes, we'll finish our conversation later,” he said winking at her and Lisa just looked up as if asking the skies for patience. 
 
“Ma'ams,” said the other officer saluting the girls and walking behind Roy. 
 
“The bomb?” Sammie asked. 
 
“Probably,” Kim answered. 
 
“Poor girl,” Vanessa added, 
 
“Pilots,” Lisa said rolling her eyes. “I can't believe they still make themselves drink that on their birthdays.” 
 
“I guess it’s tradition,” Sammie said shrugging her shoulders. 
 
“I guess,” Vanessa said.  
 
“Anyway changing the subject, did you check out Parker? I had forgotten how hot he is!” Kim said. 
 
“You think?” Vanessa asked curiously. 
 
“Yeah, I mean did you see his ass?” Kim asked and the girls covered her faces. 
 
“Kim!” Lisa protested between laughs. 
 
“But it's true!” she defended herself. 
 
“I must admit those jeans fit him very well,” Vanessa said and the girls teased her, making her blush. 
 
“And what you think about Captain Fokker? He certainly looked handsome,” Sammie said. 
 
“He has always been hot and knows very well how to handle that,” Kim stated. 
 
“That's true,” Vanessa agreed. “What do you think Lisa?” 
 
“I guess he is,” Lisa said searching for him with her gaze. The task wasn't very difficult since he was probably the tallest guy in the place. He was talking with the waiter a few meters away from his table, wearing a pair of used jeans and a deep blue shirt that almost looked black, with the top buttons opened. He had one hand in his jean's pocket while his free hand ran through his blond hair as he talked with authority to the guy. Yes, he certainly was a handsome guy and she’d always known that. But she was surprised that she had never noticed he was also very sexy, probably because he’d had written “Claudia Grant's property”all over him. 
 
“Lisa!” Kim said at the time she softly punched her in the arm. 
 
“What?” Lisa asked paying attention to her. 
 
“I was asking you what you thought about Captain Wolf?” Sammie said. 
 
“Not my type, there's something about the mustache,” she said and she shuddered, making the girls laugh. 
 
They kept talking and drinking their very tropical drinks as if by doing so they would make the winter disappear. Suddenly there was a loud commotion that grabbed everyone’s attention and, of course, it was coming from Roy's table; everyone was laughing and singing happy birthday. After a while everyone went back to their own tables and the girls resumed their conversation about whether alpha males were better or worst than beta males. 
 
She wasn't paying much attention to the conversation, mostly because she didn't feel in the mood to talk about men at all. It was like putting salt in the wound, so she started to look around the place. The girls were too absorbed in the conversation to notice she wasn't paying attention. She instinctively searched for Roy in the crowd. He wasn't at his table but she doubted he had left already, so she kept searching until she found him. He was in the middle of the dance floor, dancing with Lt. Thompson and Lisa couldn't help frowning. 
 
That wasn't a proper behavior- he was her superior, her team leader. And yes it was the girl's birthday and yes she, herself, had danced with junior officers too but still, it just wasn't right. 
 
“What do you think Lisa?” she heard and turned her attention to the girls. 
 
“Sorry, what do I think about what?” Lisa asked cluelessly. 
 
“About the dress! I'm telling you Lisa it is the most gorgeous white dress you have ever seen. It is going to be perfect for this year’s Black and White New Year’s Eve Party,” Sammie said proudly. 
 
“You already have a dress for the New Year’s Eve party?” Lisa asked surprised. 
 
“You don't?” the girls asked at the same time. 
 
“No,” Lisa said feeling like a little girl who had done something bad. 
 
“You are kidding, right?” Kim asked with surprise, but when Lisa denied it with a shake of her head she looked terrified. “But Lisa the ball is just a month away!” Kim said in horror. 
 
“And you certainly don't want to have to choose between the dresses everyone else has turned down,” Sammie said worried and Vanessa nodded with concern. 
 
“I guess I haven't had time to think about it,” Lisa said ashamed. 
 
“Well it's not as if we are that late,” Vanessa said in her always calm voice. 
 
“I'm not sure,” Sammie said biting her lower lip. 
 
“Whinning about it isn’t going to fix a thing. We all have this weekend off, so we're going to get you a dress Lisa. No matter what,” Kim said determined and Lisa couldn't help feeling a little scared.  
 
“That's an awesome idea Kim,” Sammie said and clapped. “That's exactly what we are going to do.” 
 
“I think we should start in the designer stores in Macross Avenue,” Vanessa said. 
 
“We definitely must go to Georgina's store! She has the most wonderful dresses ever,” Kim said. 
 
“And that store, I always forget the name, the one that has these French dresses,” Sammie added. 
 
Lisa wanted to say something, but the girls kept talking about what stores were the best for her, and what type of dress would enhance her figure. She was getting bored so she searched the crowd again, but this time she didn't find Roy. Maybe he had gone home and she probably should do the same, but the girls wouldn’t allow it until she finished her drink. Finally she decided to go to the bathroom because her eyes were burning a little because of the smoke in the place. 
 
She was walking towards the lady's bathroom when she noticed that most of the people were walking in the opposite direction. They gave her some strange looks, but no one said a word. Probably they are surprised to see me here, she thought. 
 
She opened the bathroom door only to see Lt. Thompson holding herself against the upper part of the frame of one of the stalls in the bathroom. She looked pretty drunk, her hair was a mess and her skirt was half the way up. 
 
“I have never,” she said and swung forward into the stall. “I don't think I have ever done anything like that in my life,” she said slurring in every word. 
 
“I'm pretty sure of that,” answered an amused male voice from inside the stall. 
 
“It was like boom!” she said mimicking an explosion and bending forward clumsily. 
 
“Hold it there Maggie,” said the male voice, grabbing Lt. Thompson and then they started to laugh.  
What happened next appeared to happen in slow motion for Lisa. Suddenly from inside the stall Roy appered his shirt completely open and his hands were wrapped around the Lt's waist. He was leading her towards the sinks and she had her hands on his neck and was looking at his face, letting him lead her, since she was barely able to stand on her own feet.  
 
Lisa felt her stomach shrink and she became frozen by the surprise of seeing what was going on in front of her eyes. She opened her mouth to say something but words didn't come out. It was on the third try that she could actually say something. 
 
“Roy,” was all that she said, making him jump. 
 
“Lisa!” Roy said surprised. He had been unaware that someone had entered into the bathroom and his immediate reaction was to take his hands off Lt. Thompson. “What are you doing here?” 
 
“I...” Lisa started to say but she stopped. She wasn't the one who should be giving explanations, she thought. And suddenly her surprise changed to anger and she could feel her blood boiling in her veins. “Well, last time I checked this was the ladies bathroom.” 
 
“I ...” Roy started to say while trying to button his shirt, which was impossible since the buttons had been ripped off. 
 
“But hey at least it’s not a small maintenance room on the base. Gotta admit you are making some progress. Maybe next time you'll actually book a motel room,” Lisa said ironically. 
 
“I can explain this.” 
 
“What are you going to explain? There's nothing to explain,” Lisa said angrily. “You know what, I'm out of here,” she added disgustedly and turned to leave but Roy moved faster and grabbed her arm. 
 
“Lisa wait, you are making a mistake,” he said while she harshly removed her arm from his grip. 
 
“You’re damn right I made one, I trusted you,” she said and walked closer to him. “I can't believe I defended you, I fought for you!” she said while pressing her index finger against his chest accusingly. “For what? For this?” she said hurt. 
 
“Lisa,” Roy said patiently, taking a deep breath and pulling his hair away from his face, trying to calm himself and searching for the proper words to explain to her what was happening. “Maggie and I...” 
 
“I told you I don't care, I don't...” Lisa said and clenched her jaw. “I don't give a damn what you do with your personal life! If you want to shag a Lt. in the women's bathroom, that's fine with me. That's just fine.” 
 
“Lisa come on!” 
 
“No, really, it’s okay. It's just like the old times, isn't it?” Lisa said and then gave him a vicious smile. “You get drunk and can't keep your hands off anything in a skirt, can you?”  
 
“That's so..” Roy said angrily. 
 
“Classic Roy Fokker?” she said sarcastically and raising an eyebrow, looking at him straight in the eyes. He tightened his fists and jaw, she gave him a cold defiant gaze and then turned to leave. When she arrived at the door, she turned one last time knowing that he'd still be looking at her. “And just so you know, your lieutenant just passed out,” Lisa said pointing at Thompson with her chin. She didn't bother to watch Roy's reaction; she turned again and slammed the door in her way out. 
 
When she arrived at her table with the girls, her head was already aching because of how tight she had her jaw clenched. Actually her whole body was tensed.  
“I'm leaving,” she barked at the girls while she grabbed her jacket and almost tipped over her chair.  
 
They looked at her surprised- she had left just a couple of minutes ago smiling and now she was dangerously angry. They were about to ask her what had happened but she had already stormed out. 
 
By the time she got inside her car, all she wanted to do was to hit something. She had already slammed the car door, but it just wasn't enough and in a sudden impulse she hit the wheel hard with all her strength. 
 
She was furious, and she didn't know exactly why she was so mad, after all it hadn't been any worse than when she caught him in that small maintenance room with that ensign. But right now all she wanted to do was to strangle Thompson and beat Roy to a pulp. She finally turned on her car and started to drive, hoping it would calm her down, but it didn't. 
 
“Watch where you’re going, you idiot!” she yelled pressing strongly the horn of her car and cursing the car that was in front of her. 
 
“Stupid! How could I be so stupid?” she said squeezing the wheel in anger and pushing the gas pedal almost all the way. “I just don't learn do I?”  
 
She took a deep breath through the nose. She was so angry that she felt her throat was closing making breathing difficult. 
 
“And that snaky little...” Lisa held her tongue and strangled the wheel one more time. “She doesn't have enough chasing Rick and now she goes after Roy! Roy! Of all people him! He is her squadron leader! Her superior officer! He is...” She didn't finish the sentence, just accelerated the car more and held the wheel tightly. 
 
She kept driving, trying to calm down but she didn't have much luck with it. She tried to convince herself that she better calm down, that tomorrow was going to be a very busy day, and that she needed to cool off in order to do her job well. But it didn't work. 
 
She was too angry to be rational. She felt this visceral reaction to what had happened that she didn't understand and it was that that made it so difficult to control. She couldn't let it go, and so she fell asleep with her jaw clenched and her whole body tensed, unable to let her anger go. 

Continue / Continua: Yes / Si

Feedback / Comentarios: Yes / Si

Author email / email del autor: jo_anderson19ATyahoo.com